Friday 18 March 2011

Evaluation Question 3

3: What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?


I have created a short video to introduce the two main institutions likely to distribute my media product...





The fact that Bauer Media already publishes Kerrang!, Q and Mojo, will probably mean that Bauer Media will not distribute my magazine. This is because these magazines (especially Kerrang! and Mojo), are very similar to mine, and will therefore compete. This will not be beneficial to the institution who might loose sales on their existing magazines. 

IPC Media target three social groups, 'men', 'mass market women' and 'upmarket women'.  Therefore the institution does not currently aim any of their products at my young target audience. This may mean that it will not be interested in distributing ‘Uproar’, however if they did spot this gap in the market, competition would be minimal. 
IPC distribute NME however, which may compete slightly with my magazine. However I feel as though my magazine genre is more rock, and NME is more indie-rock, and this therefore increases the chances that IPC will distribute my magazine. 'Uncut' is also a brand which belongs to IPC, however I feel that the target audience for this magazine it a lot older, and so would not compete with UPROAR. I believe that IPC Media, especially as NME is already very successful and therefore the company is well experienced, would be the best institution to distribute my magazine.