Friday 18 March 2011

Evaluation Question 2

2: How does your media product represent particular social groups?


My magazine is representative of young people, aged 16 – 25, who enjoy listening to rock music whenever they are able to, go to gigs whenever they can, and buy rock magazines when they can afford them.


This type of social group might typically wear, simple jeans, worn, or skinny, and t-shirts which might represent their favourite bands. They might also wear darker coloured clothing than others. This has been represented in my in my product by the dark clothing that I chose to dress my band in. The band wear mostly black, with the exception of Scott who wears black and red.


Boys might also wear their hair longer than most in this social group shown by the image below.
I have also represented this in my selection of cast as Scott’s hair is fairly long.


Sometimes boys belonging to these social groups might wear eyeliner (‘guyliner’), which has been represented by my band in my rock magazine through Scott and Gary, who both wear eyeliner. Jonathan also wears some eye make up. People in this social group who chose not to wear any make up at all are represented by Stuart, this was done because a lot of boys do not wear it.

 


Girls are represented in my magazine in a similar way. I chose to put make-up on my model, as in general, most girls wear make up. Often girls in this social group tend to wear thick, black eyeliner, therefore I applied black eye-liner around her eyes to represent this.



In my features article interview, I represented my social group by placing the band in the same one. They are within the age of my target audience and went to school like everybody else. It also discusses how their use of the internet site ‘Youtube’ helped them to become noticed. ‘Youtube’ is widely used, particularly by my target social group, in society today.