Wednesday 15 December 2010

Background Images

I took some pictures of possible backgrounds for my magazine provide me with options. For example, I might take a picture during my shoot with an inappropriate background, and could use these images to layer under the subjects.
At this point, the main cover line will be 'Breakfast With Three Men and A Microphone', and if I was creating the article, would have been about the school radio station. With this in mind, I wanted to incorporate music into my front cover as well representing school life and creating a sense of urban living.

The pictures have been taken around school in the hope that they might reflect school life. Here are the images...


These images of a brick wall would be a good background for my front cover. They are urban and represent Oaks Park High School (it is made of brick). It would be easy to layer another image over these because the tone and pattern is quite consistent.



 

I varied the images of the brick wall by changing the camera angle to a slanted position. This gives the image perspective, and would be well used edited with another image which also incorporates perspective.




This image, taken of a concrete floor, gives off an urban vibe. Rotated 90 degrees, this would make a suitable back ground image for my front cover. Because the image is of a floor, an image of a subject taken from a birds eye view might be suitable. If this image was left as it is and not rotated, it could be used for a double page contents. However there is litter in the left hand corner of the image, which does not reflect the school in a very positive light and therefore, should not be used as a background in my school magazine. 




This image is too bold to use as a background however represents urban living well. 




These landscape images of piano keys are visually interesting and, if edited, would have been good for the background of a double page spread. However, not for the single page front cover or contents of my magazine.




This image fits in well with the music aspect of my front cover, but the image is blurred. It might be difficult to edit an image over this and make it look as though the picture is all one. 




The image of a beautiful blue sky does not represent school life very well, but would make a good background for a different genre of magazine.




These images were taken of the school paintings in the science corridor. I don't think that they are well suited to my particular school magazine, because they are not in-fitting with the theme. However, maybe an issue based on science would work well with these backgrounds.